Reporting a concern? Go to our Roster/On-Call Page or Report Page
The Chicago Python User Group(ChiPy) community is made up of active members from the greater Chicago-land areas and from virtual participation. Each member brings with them a unique set of skills, personality, and experiences; it is through the diversity of our community that ChiPy experiences great successes and continued growth.
We value the participation of each member of the Python community and want all to have an enjoyable and fulfilling experience. Accordingly, every participant is expected to show respect and courtesy to other participants at all ChiPy events.
To make clear what is expected, all participants, speakers, sponsors, organizers, and volunteers at any ChiPy event are required to conform to the following Code of Conduct. Organizers will enforce this code at every event.
ChiPy is dedicated to providing a positive experience for everyone, regardless of age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, actual or perceived race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, color, religion (or lack thereof), veteran and/or military status marital status or parental status, pregnancy, educational background, socio-economic status, or any combination of these factors.
Examples of behavior that contributes to creating a positive environment include:
- Being kind to others
- Behaving professionally
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
- Focusing on what is best for the community
- Showing empathy towards other community members
Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants include:
- Continuing one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate misgendering, using inappropriate pronouns, or use of “dead” or rejected names*
- Carrying out non-consensual photography or recording of any kind
- Harassing of event participants in any form
- Using hate symbols
- Inciting violence towards any individual or group, including encouraging a person to engage in self-harm
- Using insults, put downs or excessive swearing
- Intimidating, stalking or following participant(s)
- Inappropriate physical contact or unwelcome contact of any kind, especially after a request to stop
- Physical assault and/or battery
- Policing bathrooms based on gender expression or identity
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or other exclusionary jokes
- Sexual language and imagery in any event venue, including talks, Slack, Twitter, or other online media
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Threats - violent or otherwise - directed against another person
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, relationships, drugs, and employment
- Unwelcome sexual attention or advances
- Other conduct that is inappropriate for a professional audience that includes people of many different backgrounds
Participants asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in behavior that violates this code of conduct, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from the event (without refund, if applicable) and banning from future events.
Thank you for helping make this a welcoming, friendly community for all.
* A dead name is a birthname or other name other than the chosen name of a transgendered individual.
No weapons are allowed at ChiPy venues, including but not limited to explosives (including fireworks), guns, and large knives such as those used for hunting or display, as well as any other item used for the purpose of causing injury or harm to others. Anyone seen in possession of one of these items will be asked to leave immediately, and will only be allowed to return without the weapon.
Attendees are further expected to comply with all state and local laws on this matter.
All ChiPy attendees are subject to the Code of Conduct. This includes ChiPy organizers and volunteers, as well as attendees of the talk events, collaborative work environments, receptions / after-party events, or other sponsored or unofficial events related to ChiPy events.
Sponsors are also subject to the anti-harassment policy. In particular, sponsors should not use sexualised images, activities, or other material.
Anyone can report harassment. If someone’s behavior has made you uncomfortable, or if you have witnessed any form of unacceptable behavior, you should immediately contact ChiPy organizers in-person, on Slack, or text/call the On-Call responder at 1+201-778-4075.
Organizers of ChiPy will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist any attendee to feel safe during ChiPy events. We value your attendance.